Monday, April 30, 2012

Our Vows

Our wedding vows were one of the most important parts of our ceremony. We understand the seriousness of a vow. It is more than a promise; it is the seal of the covenant. God, who is perfect, just and holy will be holding us to these vows. If and when a vow is broken you have not just wronged the other person, but it is an affront to God and he will hold you accountable and meet out punishment. Though our entire ceremony was joyous, in both of our hearts we felt a certain solemnity and seriousness with our vows...and as we said them we were both on the edge of tears. :)

We both knew we wanted the traditional vows at our ceremony. I (Elysse) had also written personal vows shortly after I knew Lucas was "the one" but before we were ever engaged. The more we talked about our family vision the more we came to the conclusion that both traditional and personal vows would reflect the purposes for our commitment and marriage. You may note that the only difference between our traditional vows is that the word "obey" is inserted in my vows to Lucas. I was so disappointed to find out that most women do not include "obey". Unfortunately, feminism has caused women to believe that if they vow to obey their husbands they will be treated like children or some such silly notion. I have written on this extensively in "Fathers and Daughters: Raising Polished Cornerstones", but submission to one's husband is God's design and is very freeing and gives a woman comfort, security, and boldness to move forward in her calling as a wife, woman and full partner in the marriage.

I, Lucas, take you Elysse, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish according to the ordinance of God, until death do us part.

Elysse, you are my treasure

i will love you with my heart mind and strength even as I love my own body

i will sacrifice my desires for your welfare

i will take you with me to the spiced mountains of adventure

i will fight with you for the kingdom to come

i will be your refuge and counselor in God

i will direct your children and train them up in God's ways

i will be your pitcher refreshing you with God's words

i will be your equal in sin and God-given rights

i will respect you and what God has forged

i will pray assiduously for our union

i will tend our vineyards with you

i will set you as a seal upon my heart

_______

I, Elysse, take you Lucas, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish and obey according to the ordinance of God, until death do us part.

Lucas, you are my best friend

and first and only love.

Before God and these witnesses

I acknowledge that I must always seek Jesus first

so that I may love and respect you fully and well.

I vow to make that my daily goal

from this moment forward.

My heart belongs to you only

all the days of my life.

As God gave Adam a helper

so do I promise to help, serve, and encourage you

in your calling.

Your vision and purpose is mine.

You are now my leader and head.

Where you go I will gladly follow.

I covenant with you

to live out God's purpose for our family

bringing glory and honor to Him

and truth and light to the culture

through the generations we leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment