Monday, July 16, 2012

Careful with that cup of Coffee

More than once I have heard in passing that the US government has funded research to identify domestic terrorists. Recently I read a few articles regarding this research that have me particularly concerned.

Quoting from a July 4, 2012 article posted here

“The report takes its definitions from a 2011 study entitled Profiles of Perpetrators of Terrorism, produced by the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, in which the following characteristics are used to identify terrorists.

- Americans who believe their “way of life” is under attack;

- Americans who are “fiercely nationalistic (as opposed to universal and international in orientation)”;

- People who consider themselves “anti-global” (presumably those who are wary of the loss of American sovereignty);

- Americans who are “suspicious of centralized federal authority”;

- Americans who are “reverent of individual liberty”;

People who “believe in conspiracy theories that involve grave threat to national sovereignty and/or personal liberty.”

The Author, Paul Joseph Watson later states, “Under the FBI’s Communities Against Terrorism program, the bulk purchase of food is labeled as a potential indication of terrorist activity, as is using cash to pay for a cup of coffee, and showing an interest in web privacy when using the Internet in a public place.

As we have documented on numerous occasions, the federal government routinely characterizes mundane behavior as extremist activity or a potential indicator of terrorist intent. As part of its ‘See Something, Say Something’ campaign, the Department of Homeland Security educates the public that generic activities performed by millions of people every day, including using a video camera, talking to police officers, wearing hoodies, driving vans, writing on a piece of paper, and using a cell phone recording application,” are all potential signs of terrorist activity.”

Let me make something clear. I am as anti-terrorist (including domestic terrorists) as a person can get. That’s probably why I carry my own personal defense system wherever I go! Like the old adage says, “An armed society is a polite society.”

Since I wasn’t polled for this outrageous study, allow me to clarify where I stand.

I avoid debt at all costs. (Yes, pun intended.)

I buy food in bulk. Mostly rice and beans.

And, we eat rice and beans. A lot of it. Partly because it is cheap, and partly because its healthy.

We grow our own vegetables, and we believe in harvesting as much fresh fruit and veggies as we can. Harvesting includes drying, freezing, canning, and making as many products from these fruits and veggies as possible.

We believe composting and recycling are ways to be a good steward of our resources.

We believe that we shouldn’t buy something if we have to put it on a credit card, especially, our cups of coffee - which are few and far between. Coffee is a luxury, and we don’t live in times where we can afford many luxuries.

We would rather save money than spend it. Especially if that money is gold, silver, or old coins. In fact, if we could barter for everything, we would. You give me your farm-fresh eggs and I’ll give you some of my apricot preserves!

And, if that isn’t crazy enough when I see a law enforcement official doing something to endanger the lives of my fellow citizens I’m more than likely to take a picture or video. If our Founding Fathers could list their grievances in the Declaration of Independence, I have every right to record mine.

Call me crunchy, call me a little to the right of normal, but whatever you call me, don’t call me a terrorist. It is an outrage that we don’t stand up and yell “foul” when our responsible, self-governing and thoroughly American behavior is called terrorist behavior.

The only thing I may be considered an enemy to is debt and a cradle-to-grave dependence on my government. That’s one label you can feel free to give me!

No comments:

Post a Comment